Harvesting Good Vibes


by Jeanne Kuntz

I had a wonderful surprise this holiday season. Some seeds that I planted last spring produced an unexpected bounty. I am referring to the connections I made with a lovely group people who live just around the corner. They have been my neighbors for many years, and I never would have met them if it wasn’t for the Mar Vista Green Garden Showcase, which I participated in back in April. Over 100 people came through my yard, and I enjoyed meeting each one of them. But four in particular – Steve, Yuko, Ron and Ronit – have become fast friends and my husband and I have been “harvesting” the benefits ever since.

We have lived on Cabrillo Boulevard for over 30 years. Our three children were born and raised here, and when they left we had fewer opportunities to mingle with our neighbors. My involvement with the MVCC Green Committee (I am Vice- Chair, doing my best to make sure that Co-Chairs Sherri and Laura don’t get overwhelmed) was the beginning of my career as a community activist. If I had known how much fun it would be, I would have gotten involved years ago! And the new friends I have made have been an unexpected bonus. We walk our dogs together (when they behave!), do yoga, celebrate the holidays, share meals and jokes.

If you are thinking of participating in the 2010 MVCC Green Garden Showcase, you may find the 4 hour tour provides much more than just ideas about how to save water, grow food, or protect the environment. It can be the first step in experiencing a deeper, wider, more fulfilling sense of community. We are putting together our team for next year’s Showcase, so drop us a line if you want to help out. You may find some seeds of community of your own.

Jeanne Kuntz of Teaching Wellness is Vice Chair of the MVCC Green Committee and shares her amazing energy at the MVCC Green Booth every Sunday!