100% Clean Electricity in Mar Vista - have we done our part?



Week three of the Green Living Workshop and we still had a full house. The most exciting part was seeing the show of hands from people who already converted to 100% clean electricity by signing up for Green Power with the LADWP!
And 4 others who are already getting surveyed to add solar panels to their homes. I left with such a sense of pride. We can do this - we can set an example for the city and achieve 100% clean electricity by 2018!

The DWP has asked me to come down for next Thursday for a meeting to discuss our Green Garden Showcase. We can use this as an opportunity to let them know that we are serious about reaching this goal. We need your help. If you have signed up for their green power, please post a comment on this blog. If you haven't signed up yet - do it now! It costs so little and makes such a huge difference. This is the way we send a message to support the development of more renewable sources for electricity. Once you sign up, add a comment to this post.

If you have solar panels - add a comment to this post. If you are in the process of getting solar panels - add a comment. If you have information that you can share so others can make a good choice - add a comment.

Let's turn this post into something that we can use to show the DWP and our community that we are serious - that this is more than just good intentions. Mar Vista will make this happen!

4 comments:

  1. We put solar panels in about 4 years ago and have very little cost for electricity most of the year. We calculate that they will pay for themselves in 7 to 10 years. And when we did it, they were more expensive and electricity was cheaper! We signed up for Green Power with the DWP so anything we use above what we produce is 100% renewable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My solar panels are up and I'm thrilled! I took advantage of the Solar City lease program, so my solar panels have been 100% free so far! Thanks to Open Mar Vista's GoSolar initiative, I got a special deal only for Mar Vista residents AND they installed a wi-fi antenna on my roof! So not only do I have clean electricity production going on right over my head, but I'm broadcasting free wi-fi to my neighbors, too!

    I thought I signed up for Green Power a long time ago, but this post is making me wonder if it's true, so I'll go check with DWP right now. Thanks, Green Committee!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an estimate for Solar Panels for my 2 story house. After rebates and incentives, the price will be around $9,000. (Cost before rebates- $30,000) Meanwhile, I have been contributing to clean energy for years by checking the "Green Power" box on my DWP bill. It costs a few cents more, but it allows me to sleep better at night. I'm sure my increased IPQ (Inner Peace Quotient) also translates into health care savings (I don't get sick as much) and time management benefits (I am more attentive and make better decisions). Look at all the benefits from just signing up for clean energy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I signed up for a solar lease through Solar City. They installed the panels and passed inspection more than three months ago and DWP still has not come out to connect us to the grid. Fortunately, the lease payments do not begin until the system is turned on.

    ReplyDelete